In 1926, Scouting originated in Chino with Troop 1, which was sponsored by the American Legion. Vernon Decker, Bob Frady, and Ernest Soper were responsible for the first organization of scouts. John V. Cooley was the first Scoutmaster, and met with the first group of boys in the East Side Thimble Club (which now the Old Schoolhouse Museum Building). It is believed that John Strona provided the lumber and W.J. Goetzman helped build the Scout House.
The first scouts of Troop 1 were Jack Birnie, Ed Brinderson, Don Brinderson, Dudley Deay, Dale Frady, George Garritson, and Edward Harris. And the first Eagle Scout of Chino was William O’Harris. As of 2013, John Anderson is Chino’s oldest living Eagle Scout with Christian Li as the current Scoutmaster. The troop has been sponsored by the Chino Rotary Club since 1941, and changed from Troop 1 to Troop 201 in the late 1960’s. The Scout House itself is the only individual building in the City of Chino dedicated to the meeting and organization of the Boy Scouts of America.