Among the first buildings to be built in Chino was the Opera House. Built by Richard Gird in 1887, the two story building featured shows ranging from 25 to 60 cents, the higher prices were reserved for shows of higher quality. Not all shows cost however, during intermission, medicine shows would come to sell cure-all products. Although the shows were free, they made their money selling their inventory. The Opera House was also known for hosting plays put on by Chino High School, political speeches, and school dances. Located in the east end of the Opera house was the Moyse Department Store which faced 7th street.
In June of 1966, demolition of the Opera House occurred. To this very day, the Chino civic center is located on the site of the Opera House and lively shop.